Monday 17 November 2014

A toilet for Babli

Hi All,

I am Babli- a 6 year old girl from the village of Junapani.

My daily routine consists of waking up at 6 in the morning, going about with nature's call in the field that my Baba owns - Amma tells me that I have to be very careful in finding the perfect spot so no one can see me.After that, I get fresh, and help Amma draw water from the local pond located on the outskirts of the village and then after reaching home, I have the rotis Amma makes for breakfast. After that, Amma sends me to school, even though I really don't enjoy Masterji's lessons. But the best part about going to school is meeting my friends, and playing with them during the breaks and after school.

I have a lot of friends from school- Chunni, Lalu, Dabbu, Rajjo, Chintu, Pinky..

But now, Pinky is no longer with us..

I asked Amma where she went after she was admitted to the hospital. She tells me, Pinky went to God's home. She was my best friend! We used to play many games after school, and walk home together after that, we are neighbors - her family and mine. But now I have to walk to home by myself..

Pinky was not keeping well much before she left for God's home. She used to complain of tummy aches frequently. I asked her what was wrong, but she never knew exactly why she was not well.
Once I heard Amma speaking to Pinky's mother about her. Aunty was crying that the doctors at the big hospital said that since we did not have toilets, and went to answer nature's call in the fields, Pinky had contracted some infection, that they were unable to cure. They said it was important to build toilets and keep our surroundings clean, so that we could avoid getting such infections. He said something about a big term, I couldn't pronounce it properly, but I think it was something like sani-station. I don't know which station this is, as I've been to the only railway station of our village when we go to Nanima's home. That evening, I asked Baba whether I will also go to God's home if I get an infection like Pinky. I don't know why, but Baba was shocked and he did not reply for my question, but a few days after that, he built a closed small room a little away from our field, and inside the room, there is a white pit and two foot-rests on either side of it. When I asked Baba about it, he told me it was called a "Toilet", and we were to answer nature's call only inside that room, and not out in the field, as we did until now. I was so happy when he said- "Now you won't have to go to God's home. Because now, There is a TOILET for Babli"!

Toilet For Babli


I felt proud the next day at school, when Masterji told everyone in class that our family had got a toilet, and how everyone else also should use one, like us. I just wish all the families in our village get a toilet soon! You can also help us by clicking the link below!


This post is written for the "Toilet For Babli" IndiBlogger Happy Hours contest.
 
You can bring about the change in the lives of millions of kids, thereby showing your support for the Domex Initiative. All you need to do is “click” on the “Contribute Tab” on http://www.domex.in/ and Domex will contribute Rs.5 on your behalf to eradicate open defecation, thereby helping kids like Babli live a dignified life.

No comments:

Post a Comment