Monday 16 March 2015

The Newcomer!

Fighting, yelling at each other, kicking and scratching! These are the "lovely" memories I've shared with my "loving" sister since as long as I can remember! :D As the eldest daughter to my parents, it was a teeny weeny bit difficult for me to share all that limelight and attention that I had enjoyed for the four whole years of my sibling free life, which had led me on the track of becoming a spoiled princess! All of a sudden, there was this new baby (not as cute as me of course! Dad had asked me to hold her as soon as mom came home with her and she was all little and pink and either crying or sleeping all the time!) that everyone was crooning at and new toys were brought, new powders and shampoos and little clothes being gifted for that new comer by all my uncles and aunts who used to buy me chocolates and toys and any and everything that I asked for, till now! All of a sudden, I felt completely ignored and left out. Even mom had started to carry the new girl around all the time with her, except for while she slept. Not MOM too! MY mom! Dad was away at office while I was away at school (I was in Upper Kindergarten) and when I got back, either it was dad or mom who was holding her all the time. Till now, I was always restricted from watching TV for more than an hour by mom, but now that she was so busy and tired all the time, she couldn't always keep her watchful eye on what I did. Even Tom & Jerry were not making me giggle anymore.

I decided I was not going to talk to anyone at all. They could talk to "her" all they wanted. I decided I would run away from home, and that was when they would realize how much they would miss the best little girl they had! I had it all planned out - even though they would beg me, plead me, and give me all the chocolates in the world, I wouldn't come back. I was going to be an Indian in the forest (I had recently seen them on Cartoon Network - all their faces painted and hooting and dancing around a fire all the time - that did seem fun! And the forest was the garden in front of our home that had grown wild) and cook by myself and not give it to anyone. Finally when they would not leave me, then I would agree to come back if they gave back the new girl from wherever she came from. And also demand the new Barbie doll that my friend had recently got - I was not going to let them get off the hook so easily, oh NO!
It was around three in the noon when I was watching TV and all these bright ideas were springing up in my head, and  I decided to put my plan in action at once.I took up my teddy bear bag that I saved for special occasions like picnics, and ran to the kitchen to fill up my water bottle and also decided to pack in all the biscuit and snack packets that were there for me to take at school to munch on during recess. I definitely was not going to let grandma and grandpa give them to her as lovingly as they gave me. So it was done, my bag all packed and I was ready to leave. I decided not to tell bye to anyone either. I could be mean as they were! I felt like crying a bit, but then, it had to be done, and so I did.

I moved out silently and ran behind the farthest mango tree, making sure nobody had spotted me. I put the bag down and opened it and started eating the biscuits. The two packets that I had got over quite easily and it was a little late by the time I realized that. So I decided I would save the Lays packet for dinner. I was thirsty now and sipped water from the bottle. Now that I was quite full, I started getting bored hiding and siting behind the tree. I observed I would be too easy to spot, so I started gathering leaves to cover myself up.Unfortunately, after endless hours of struggle of trying to cover myself, the leaves always ended up in a pile on my lap. Also, I found an ant on one, and after a painful bite from it, I left the idea of the leaves. It was almost getting dark now and I could hear my mom calling out for me. Hah! My plan had started working. Now the calls were tinged with an edge of anger and I felt sad that she was not missing me. Now, no way was I going back even though I was starting to feel lonely. This time I heard dad. I loved him a lot, and we shared everything together, but this time I could not. Even he was spending a lot of time with the new baby. Voices grew louder now and I heard papa asking my neighbors if I was at their place. I silently smiled at myself and thought that it served them right, and I was hoping that they would find me soon - I was starting to get a little scared now - I hated being alone in the dark. I heard footsteps coming closer and I thanked God!

Together Forever! :)
Dad found me out and I started crying on seeing him. He shouted to everyone that he had found me and to stop worrying and he would bring me home in a couple of minutes. He sat beside me and asked me why I was here and had not responded to their calls. An emotional outburst came out from me and I shouted that I hated the new girl and they had to give her back. He smiled and told me that it was not possible, she was here to stay. I told him firmly that I wouldn't come back till she left. He placed me on his lap and held me close and told that it was going to be nice that I had a little sister, I could teach her many things, I could share things with her - which I instantly refused of course. He explained that now I would have someone to play with, when I felt lonely, and that I would have company to go to school as well. He told me that I could have all her gifts as well, as she was a bit small now to use them. I was happy with that, and a little content. I agreed that as long as everyone was always with me and not with her, I would come back (actually I was more worried about the thought of sleeping alone outside there and I was hoping that he would agree to my plea!). Dad agreed and said that when one of them was with her, everyone else would be with me. I immediately agreed to that and he lifted me on his shoulders and took me home. Back home, he told everyone that it was a little hide and seek that we had started earlier and he had forgotten that it was his turn to seek and now that he had found me, things were alright now! That was when I remembered the Barbie! Oh no! I had completely forgotten her!! I softly called papa aside and asked him that I wanted a Barbie and he agreed to it, thankfully.

So that was the end of my little adventure and over the years, both - my sister and I have grown fighting and playing and watching TV together and she has ended up learning quite a lot, thanks to me! (Even though, her fashion sense is something that I have emulated her later.) That talk with my dad that day, had changed my attitude towards my sister - he taught me that sharing was fun, that having a sister of my own to play with, to teach new things, to show her how fun different things were was something not everyone had or could enjoy. Although the fighting still tops the charts, there is also a lot of love and concern for my little Disli (That's what I call her). Thanks Daddy, for teaching me the most important lesson of my life - to adjust, to share, and to learn to be happy in whatever new situation that comes up in life! :)


This post has been written for
for those who cherish optimism and Togetherness!

2 comments:

  1. Nice One Khyati...
    The description is very vivid... Long back I read through your blogs...
    Like your style... Keep it up..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Khyati :P :) to start wid ..... i njoyed reading your stories..... but honestly , it's been a long tym..... waiting for few more

    ReplyDelete